Pigeons and seagulls can become a real nuisance for your business. It’s not just the mess they make; they can also damage your premises by dislodging roof tiles and blocking guttering.
There are a number of other problems that mean you should adopt bird control measures sooner rather than later. Pigeons and seagulls on your premises can:
Be a health hazard, by spreading diseases such as Ornithosis, E.Coli and Salmonella.
Deface buildings and vehicles with their droppings. They frequently foul entrances and pavements, which can become dangerously slippery.
Encourage insect infestations such as bird mites, textile beetles and fleas – these are attracted to their nests and roosting sites.
Attack customers and employees, especially during the breeding season when they are defending their young.
Signs of a Bird Infestation
You may not realise it but your business premises could be the ideal habitat for pest birds. Pigeons and seagulls have learnt how to survive in most environments, scavenging our waste food and needing only the smallest amount of shelter to make their nests.
Here are just some of the ways they’ve adapted to make use of the urban environment:
- Pigeons and seagulls use seemingly inhospitable areas of tall buildings and flat roofs to nest.
- Balconies, ledges, chimney stacks, guttering and culverts are favourite areas for these birds.
- Seagulls in particular like to flock together on flat roofs.
- Any gap larger than 25mm that allows access to your building is a potential entry point for pigeons.
- Pigeons prefer roof spaces to roost in and can shift loose or damaged tiles to get in
Pigeon or Seagull Infestation Signs
- Birds settling on roofs or ledges.
- Continuous bird cries, especially from young chicks.
- Nesting materials strewn about your premises.
- Damaged stock, from pecking and bird fouling.
- Droppings concentrated in areas where birds roost.
- Debris from nests and feathers, which may block guttering and drainage systems, potentially leading to damp damage.
Ecopoise’s Bird Treatments
Our avian specialists are experienced in how to get rid of pest birds at your place of work, whatever the location. Using discreet, cost-effective methods of pest bird removal like bird proofing or netting, we can get rid of your pigeon or gull problem without harming the birds.